Chiropractors and the US Military

Just the Facts (with a little opinion)

The Army Bringing in Chiropractors

with 14 comments

This morning Senator Bennett’s office called with news.  We have been putting pressure on the DoD for the last month or two requesting an answer to why they have not complied with the congressional requirement of 11 new chiropractic positions in the military.  This morning There was a call stating that they would be giving a full answer by tonight.  Later this morning there were new GS positions posted on USAJobs.gov.  There are more locations listed than were announced to open this fall.  Two of the positions are in Germany and 18 different states were listed.  Previously there were only 4 or 5 scheduled to open for the Army.  (Air Force and Navy Positions have not been posted at the time of this writing.)

The best news is that some of our troops overseas will now have chiropractic available to them.  While chiropractors have not been commissioned with this move the ultimate goal is to get chiropractic care to the troops.  GS positions are also a huge step in the right direction as previously chiropractors serving our military have been working as independent contractors.  This new practice will bring these doctors into the actual system and may open the way for a chiropractic command similar to the dental command in the Army.

If you are interested in applying for any of these opened positions you can find out the details here.

About these ads

Written by cmnacnud

October 13, 2009 at 3:21 pm

14 Responses

1. This is great news. I may apply for these positions but I may also hold out for commissioning. I am a young doctor and I am very interested in serving in the military as a commissioned chiropractor. I treated patients in the VA hospital and I loved it. How can I help this cause? I am a member of the ACA and Virginia Chiropractic Association. I will put forth the effort for this cause using myself and this statement as a rallying cry: “When chiropractors can be commissioned as officers in the United States Military, I will sign up and serve.” Please contact me via email with any information on how I can help further this initiative.

Craig

October 14, 2009 at 9:28 am

• I am fresh DC out of college and I am currently in a great associateship in the state of Nebraska. I am also very interested in serving our country as a commissioned chiropractor. I had past plans to join the military and throughout my journey I became a chiropractor instead, but still strongly hold on to the idea of doing it! When chiropractors can be commissioned I will sign up and serve as well!! I am recently trying to gather all the information I can. My mother works for the VA and would love to see chiropractic care taken more seriously as a health care choice for active duty and veterans. I agree!! If I can help I will for it is my purpose in life to help people and if I can do so with chiropractic it would make all the sense in the world.

Christina

June 2, 2010 at 3:22 pm

2. I am a veteran that recently left the Utah National Guard and now I am in Chiropractic school in Florida but I would love to serve the men and women of the military. Having gone to Iraq and Afghanistan and seen the effects of IED blasts and other combat injuries there is a dire need for this modality in the military and the government should be ashamed it has neglected its personnel. I would love to get involved upon graduation but I would love to get involved in what I can in the mean time. I would love to stay in contact with the writer of the blog via email or personal correspondence. Thank you for your service. I will be following this blog.
    steve.grammer@gmail.com

Steve Grammer

November 3, 2009 at 7:14 am

• The first thing to do is make phone calls and send emails to your congressmen and representatives. You are a voter and can make an impact with that. There are currently bills trying to get chiropractic extended to dependents. Congress has told the DoD to get this done by 2002, but it’s 2009 and it’s still not done. Get on the phone and ask them why they have not followed through with congressional mandate. Get your senator to call. Next year is an election year, and one of the few times elected officials will do just about anything for you. Have them get a report from DoD, and tell them to call you back with a report and then follow up with them till it’s done.

cmnacnud

November 5, 2009 at 9:54 pm

3. I am a student in the DC program and a member of the USCG. I am very interested in chiropractic care in the military and the commission of chiropractors. What if anything can I do at my level and what/where is the best place to keep an eye on what is going on with this issue?
    Thank you for having this site up.

Future Chiropractor..

Eric

November 10, 2009 at 7:33 pm

• Thanks for your interest and your desire to help. I wish there was a good place to watch the progress of this issue. That is why I created this site. However, the ACA has a great advocacy section of their site with a page specifically to watch the DoD. http://www.acatoday.org/level2_css.cfm?T1ID=14&T2ID=32 It’s only current news, but it’s a start. The best thing to do is get in contact and stay in contact with your elected officials. Stay on them to do all they can, and keep calling. Don’t let the issue fade from their minds.

cmnacnud

November 12, 2009 at 9:50 pm

4. It’s great to see that the army is starting to commission chiropractors for use in the Army. Good post.

provochiropractic

February 23, 2010 at 11:51 am

• It would be good, but unfortunately they are not commissioning them, just bringing them into the GS system which is closer than before in my opinion.

cmnacnud

March 7, 2010 at 8:03 pm

5. I am a current DC student, and a Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA). I served nearly 10 years on active duty, 3 of those as a PTA, having cross trained into this field. Currently I have over 10 years experience in physical therapy, working in many capacities with and without chiropractors. However I miss wearing the uniform and would jump at the chance to be commissioned as a DC. My question is what does it take to “order” the Secretary of Defense to make this happen, can congress “order” it? After all the President has “authorized commissioning,” not ordered it. I just don’t understand why the delay…a letter is all it takes.

carlos SSgt(sep) USAF

February 26, 2010 at 9:15 pm

• It doesn’t take much to make it happen from such a high level, the problem is no one cares if it is carried out at that level. Congress has already effectively ordered it back in 2000 to be active by 2002. Then congress meets with them and asks why didn’t you do it. DoD gives some reason and congress says then do it. And the cycle repeats. If President Obama thought it was an important enough issue it could be done very quickly, but he honestly does have more pressing things than making sure this happens. If this were a public issue and there was a public outcry then it might happen overnight. The best thing for us to do, in my mind is to bring it to the press and get some public stories. Of course that also means opening up chiropractic to scrutiny, which I’m fine with myself, but you know there are the bad eggs out there just as in any profession and if this becomes a public fight those bad eggs would get all of the press, because it’s more exciting and news worthy than a doc who just goes about his business helping people. It’s an interesting dance.

Keep talking to your representatives. In this election year it is easier than most to get them to listen.

cmnacnud

March 7, 2010 at 8:02 pm

6. In regards to this posted information; thank you. I applied for several of the positions and did, in fact, receive a call for consideration. However, the lukewarm screening process left me with little hope of advancement through the process. Having said that though without your site I wouldn’t have even had that experience so “thank you” again for making this information available. These jobs are scarce and like most government positions difficult to find the right people to walk you through. I would say to those applying please, please take this advice and find out about the gov’t’s and military application procedures and resume format. They score your resume’s using various automated programs and a standard ‘fluff & stuff’ resume won’t get you far. You must use their format to ever get your piece of paper to a Decision Maker’s desk. Thanks again.

Allen

March 23, 2010 at 10:44 am

7. As a provider in the National Guard and veteran, I have grown accustomed (but nevertheless quite weary) of the traditional attitudes in the military. While serving in Iraq last year, I personally knew of a pilot who was also a chiropractor who treated individuals seeking his level of care regularly. The associated OT/PT clinic also provided various levels of manipulation depending on the specialty training some of their providers had received. As a physician assistant but also a licensed massage therapist, I was sought out regularly to provide a viable option to grounding medications for flight personnel who would opt not to seek care if it meant getting grounded. I am seriously considering furthering my education in the chiropractic field within the next few years…. perhaps by then Uncle Sam will come around and I could “legally” provide these services that are long overdue.
    As far as current care provided within the VA system, I know of a number of unit members who are seeking chiropractic care. For acute intervention, however, the best they can do at the local clinic is one visit EVERY 3 weeks. It’s almost – Why bother at all?
    Thanks for this website, it’s an inspiration to follow through on the dream I have.

Carla

July 19, 2010 at 5:40 pm

8. I AM A FORMER MARINE,AND RECEIVED MY DOCTOR OF CHIROPRACTIC EDUCATION AND DEGREE UNDER THE G.I. BILL.IT APPEARS TO ME IF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS WILLING TO FINANCE MY EDUCATION IN THIS PROFESSION,YOU WOULD THINK DOD WOULD ESPECIALLY WHEN CONGRESS SAID TO COMMISSION D.C’S BACK IN 2000 IT WOULD HAVE GONE INTO AFFECT. WE ARE NOW ENDING YEAR 2010 GOING INTO 2011. SOME V.A. CLINICS HAVE SLOWLY ADDED D.C.’S ON STAFF.IT IS A CRYING SHAME THAT THE MILITARY MEN AND WOMEN IN THIS GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS ARE NOT ABLE TO RECEIVE CHIROPRACTIC CARE WHICH IS GREATLY NEEDED,COMMING FROM THE BATTLEFIELDS THE GOVERNMENT SEND US INTO.

ROBERT RODRIGUES D.C.

November 10, 2010 at 1:32 am

9. It is now 2014 , What has Congress and the D..O.D. done so far to COMMISSION DOCTORS OF CHIROPRACTIC. As I said in November 10, 2010 the D.C’S are greatly needed in the military to provide a much needed service to our service men and women . DR. Robert Rodrigues

Robert Rodrigues D.C.